This is REAL Ketchup and it’s Mind Blowing. ITs Mushroom ketchup! Mushroom ketchup is one of the original ketchups, now there is a lot of debate on what is REAL so lets take that with a grain of salt, BUT tomato ketchup is like the last version, of ketchup and honestly after trying this I don’t know why it stuck. This is far richer, far superior ketchup in my opinion.
I have a feeling if you try this you will think so too.
Articles and recipes referenced.
NEW Mushroom Ketchup
- 1.5 Pounds Assorted Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Shallots
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp All Spice
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp xanthin gum
- Quickly wash your mushrooms
- Then chop fine, I used a food processor
- toss them into a dutch oven or anything with a lid and the salt. COVER and let them rest overnight
- The next day you will see the color changed and they are resting in a lot of mushroom juice
- Chop and cook your shallots in the olive oil in a separate pan, once they are translucent and cooked about 10 minutes.
- add all of the ingredients except the xanthin gum and bring to a boil
- cover and let cook or 20 minutes
- once cooked you need to filter the through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag
- return the strained broth to the dutch oven, turn on the heat and reduce by half
- Toss the mushrooms into a blender and start to pulse
- once your liquid is reduced start adding your liquid and pulsing until you get a very smooth constancy. This took me some time to blend to get to this step.
- once its very smooth you can add the xanthin gum if you want to get it closer to the constancy of tomato Ketchup. This will thicken the sauce and you can start adding more of the liquid just a tsp at a time until you reach your desired constancy.
- Both the liquid and the smooth mushroom ketchup are ketchup! You can bottle them separately and use both.
- Toss in the fridge until cooled then enjoy!