So I wanted to find out which vegan meatloaf recipe made the most meaty meatloaf! Impossible meat or Beyond meat? Instead of making my own meatloaf recipe, I decided to take the recipes from each website and make them both. Let’s put them to the test. If you like this recipe, check out this one too! and this one!
First up, the Beyond meatloaf. To get this recipe started you have to chop half of a large onion. Then toss it into a medium skillet with a little bit of oil over about a medium heat. While those are cooking I am going to whip together my own version of a vegan worcestershire sauce. I will be using my new Not Steak Sauce! This is my sauce, it’s really good, savory, and super versatile! So I add about two teaspoons of Not Steak Sauce along with a teaspoon of soy sauce and about two teaspoons of rice vinegar or a white vinegar to a bowl. I stir that up then it’s done!
Once the onions are cooked add about one tablespoon of the sauce over them. Mix that together and let them cook for just another moment. Then mince two or three cloves of garlic and add that in with the onions. In a large bowl I add the Beyond meat, a quarter cup of panko bread crumbs, salt, pepper, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, a quarter cup of plant based milk (I used oat milk), and two tablespoons of Not Steak Sauce (in both of these recipes I am going to be replacing all the ketchup, bbq sauce, and mustard for Not Steak Sauce).
Lastly I add the onions and garlic in with our meat and mix everything together really well. Now oil up a small loaf pan and transfer the meat to it. I smooth off the top and set it aside for now.
You guessed it, time for our Impossible loaf. This recipe is a little easier. We just need to place the Impossible meat in a large bowl along with one cup of Not Steak Sauce, half of a medium onion finely chopped, half of a red bell pepper chopped, two cloves of minced garlic, and a teaspoon of old bay seasoning. Mix that up really well. I oil up another small loaf dish, and toss our meat in.
You can tell the difference by looking at our meats in their pans. The Beyond meat looks like how a real meatloaf would look but the Impossible loaf has all the traditional elements of a vegan meatloaf recipe that I usually like. I have my oven preheated for 425ºf. Toss our pans in and let them bake. The Beyond bakes for about ten minutes. At the end of the ten minutes I take it out and add some Not Steak Sauce on the top of it to create the glaze. Place it back in the oven and let them bake for about another fifteen minutes.
Time to take them out of the oven and let them rest for about ten minutes. Remove them now and toss them on a plate! These came out awesome. The Impossible is looser I noticed before cutting them. Cutting into the Beyond it felt just like meatloaf. The Beyond flavor is so great and it stays together better than the Impossible. Though, the Impossible has more of a meat like texture to it, a meatier bite and still a great flavor. They are both very good vegan meatloaf recipes but the Beyond wins overall! Watch the full video here!
Which One is the Greatest Meatloaf… With 0 Meat
- beyond meat
- .5 large onion
- Not Steak Sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- impossible meat
- 1 cup Not Steak Sauce
- .5 medium onion
- .5 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- Finely chop onion and add it to skillet with oil over medium heat.
- In small bowl add Not Steak sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and mix. Then add to onions when they are done cooking.
- Mince garlic, add to onions. Cook together for a moment.
- In large bowl add beyond meat, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, plant based milk, Not Steak Sauce and the onions. Mix together well.
- Oil up a loaf pan and add in the meat. Set it aside
- To a large bowl add impossible meat, Not Steak Sauce, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and old bay seasoning. Mix together well.
- Oil another loaf pan and add in meat.
- Preheat oven to 425ºf.
- Toss pans in and let them bake.
- They bakes for ten minutes then take out the beyond and add Not Steak Sauce overtop as a glaze. Put back in oven and bake for fifteen more minutes
- Take them out and let them rest for ten minutes, then plate and enjoy!