Would you love to try a vegan cheese steak? How about making it from scratch yourself? I’ve made ground beef from carrots in the past, so now let me show you how to make carrot steak. If you like this recipe be sure to check out this one too! and this one!
First you need a bunch of carrots, I’m using about ten to make two sandwiches. I washed the carrots and used a peeler to make thin strips. Add them into a saucepan and cover them with about a teaspoon or two of salt as well as some fresh cracked black pepper and about two teaspoons of the plant basics beef seasoning. Bring this over to the stove, turn on the heat, cover everything in water then bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling I lower the heat and allow it to rest for about fifteen minutes.
When the carrots are done, you can see how dark their color becomes. I strain them and save the liquid for later. Preheat the oven for 350ºf then toss the carrots onto a lined baking sheet. Spread them out nice and even so they have enough room to cook on their own. I coated them with some more black pepper. Toss those in the oven and check them every few minutes, they can burn very quickly and easily. It ended up taking about ten minutes.
While the carrots were baking I chopped about half of an onion and tossed some oil into a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions in and let them cook until translucent. When the onions are done add in the carrots with them. Allow the onions to kind of steam the carrots. Then to this I added about a teaspoon or two of the extra marinating liquid that we saved earlier. Cover that up and allow it to steam/cook for about ten minutes.
While those cook I prepared my bun, I added some vegan mayonnaise inside. Then load up the buns with the carrot meat and cover it with vegan cheese that I made myself! It tastes like regular steak and cheese! You wouldn’t know this was made from carrots! It has some sweet tastes, some savory tastes. The meat is so flavorful! The meaty/steaky texture and taste is awesome. This vegan cheese steak is unbelievable! Watch the full video here!
The Best Cheese Steak Is Actually From Carrots
- 10 carrots
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp plant basics beef seasoning
- .5 onion
- pinch oil
- 2 buns
- vegan cheese
- vegan mayonnaise
- Wash carrots and use peeler to get them into small thin strips.
- Add them into saucepan with salt, black pepper, and beef seasoning. Bring over to the stove, turn on heat, cover everything with water then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling lower the heat and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Strain carrots and save the liquid.
- Preheat oven for 350ºf.
- Add carrots to lined baking sheet, spread them out. Sprinkle with more black pepper.
- Toss them in the oven and after 10 minutes they are done.
- Chop up some onion then add those and some oil into a saucepan on medium heat. Let them cook until they are translucent.
- Add the carrots with the onions, allow then to cook together then add saved marinating liquid from earlier.
- Cover it up, and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Prepare bun, I added vegan mayonnaise, then my carrot steak, then vegan cheese. Enjoy!